- October 18 -19,2012 BCTLA Conference in Coquitlam British Columbia - David Loertscher http://bctf.ca/bctla/conference/
- October 11-13,2012 Washington Library Media Assoc. Conference in Yakima David Loertscherhttp://wlma2012.blogspot.ca/p/sessions_9573.html
- August 28, 2012 Summer Institute - Learning Commons B.C. Carol Koechlin http://bctf.ca/bctla/info/pro-dev.html
- .August 6, 2012 INFOhio No Sweat Virtual Bootcamp - Questioning Smarts with Carol Koechlinhttp://www.infohio.org/index.php/news/29-no-sweat-virtual-boot-camp
- June 2-3, 2012 Treasure Mountain Canadahttp://www.accessola.org/ola_prod/OLAWEB/TMC/Welcome.aspx
- May 31, June 1: Learning Commons Bootcamps, Syracuse, NY: https://sites.google.com/site/nyboces1/
- May 7 2012 Learning Commons Bootcamp Calgary Alberta. David Loertscher and Carol Koechlinhttps://sites.google.com/site/calgarylc2012/
- April 25 2012 Imagine the Possibilities! Introduction to a Learning Commons Webinar Calgary Alberta. David Loertscher and Carol Koechlin Webinar recording at:
- March 22 2012 The Learning Commons, Follet Software Company Conference, Elmhurst, IL David Loertscher
- March 9, 2012 Transforming the School Library into a Learning Commons, Fresno County Office of Education, Fresno, CA David Loertscher
- March 9, 2012 Inquiry: Learning for the Future, Prince George, British Columbia. Carol Koechlin
- Feb 3, 2012 Articulating Standards for 21st Century Knowledge Building -Loertscher and Koechlin at the OLA Super Conference, Toronto, Canada.http://www.accessola.org/ola_prod/OLAWEB/Super_Conference/Welcome/OLAWEB/Super_Conference/Welcome.aspx
- Feb 2, 2012 The Virtual Learning Commons at the OLA Super Conference, Toronto, Canada. David Loertscher and Carol Koechlin
- Feb 1, 2012 Construction Zones for Learning:Virtual KBC at OLA Super Conference -Carol Koechlin and Anita Brooks Kirklandhttp://www.accessola.org/ola_prod/OLAWEB/Super_Conference/Welcome/OLAWEB/Super_Conference/Welcome.aspx
- Jan. 27-28, 2012 Transforming the School Library into a Learning Commons. EDUCON 2.4, Philadelphia PA David Loertscher and Joyce Valenza at:https://sites.google.com/site/educon24learningcommons/
- Jan. 12, 2012 INFOhio Webinarhttp://www.infohio.org/educator/webinars2011-2012.html#Bird
- November 3, 2011 Knowledge Building Centers in Libraries and Learning Commons Library 2.011 Conference - Loertscher and Koechlin
- November 2,2011 Creating a School Learning CommonsLibrary 2.011 Conference - Loertscher and Koechlin
- Oct 21, 2011 Virtual Knowledge Building ECOO Conference( Educational Computing Organization of Ontario) Carol Koechlin and Anita Brooks Kirkland.
- Oct. 26-27, 2011 Treasure Mt. Research Retreat, Osseo, MN: Knowledge Building in the Learning Commons
- October 14-15 2011 Washington School Library Association conference; Loertscher presentations on the Learning Commons
- May 31, 2011 Longfellow Elementary School Faculty, Norman OK
- April 5, 2011, Architects of 21st Century Learning for principals and teacher librarians in Hamilton Wentworth Catholic District,Ontario, Carol Koechlin and Anita Brooks Kirkland.
- April 13, 2011. The New School Learning Commons. Texas Library Association, Austin, TX, David Loertscher
- April 18-19 Various sessions and Keynote, Missouri Association of School Librarians,, David Loertscher
- April 19, 2011, Learning Commons: A Whole School Approach to Learning for the Future for principals and teacher librarians in Greater Essex County District, Ontario, Carol Koechlin
- March 4, 2011: Knowledge Building Center Workshop, Norman OK Schools, David Loertscher
- March 9-11, 2011 Multiple sessions and Keynote, South Carolina Association of School Librarians, Columbia SC, David Loertscher
- March 25, 2011 School Libraries, The Place of School Culture, Utah Educational Media Association Conference, David Loertscher
- March 27, 2011, Web 2.0 Meets UBD, ASCD National Conference, San Francisco, CA, David Loertscher and Allison Zmuda
- Sept. 7, 2010: Arnie Duncan on Standards and Assessment: As of September, 2010, U.S. Secretary, Arnie Duncan announced that during the 2014-15 school year, new assessments based on the Common Core Standards would be ready for use across the US. A variety of tests both formative and summative will measure both factual knowledge and, according to Duncan, “students need to show that they can analyze and solve complex problems, communicate clearly, synthesize information, apply knowledge, and generalize learning to other settings.” For teacher librarians, knowing that 21stcentury skills will be a part of national assessments, we can claim a more central role in teaching and learning. Immediately, as collaborative learning experiences happen between classroom teachers and teacher librarians, insist that each joint learning experience contain assessments of both content knowledge and learning how to learn skills. Start now to measure “What I know; What we know; How I learn; How we learn; and, How can we become better? Listen to the Duncan speech at:http://www.visualwebcaster.com/event.asp?id=72107; text of the speech is at: http://www.visualwebcaster.com/event.asp?id=72107 The Common Core Standards can be found at:http://www.corestandards.org/
- June 2-3, 2010: Treasure Mountain Canada is being held in Edmonton, Canada. Scholars and practitioners from across Canada have submitted informative and research papers for the conference. Check out the wiki at:http://tmcanada.pbworks.com/
- March 23. ISTE held a Learning Landscapes webinar with Doug Johnson, Joyce Valenza and David Loertscher. The links to full preentations and materials is on this wiiki under the presentation tab.
- March 22. The Knowledge Building Center Seminars, a series of four, concludes. All recordings, backchannel discussions, and PowerPoint slides are available on this wiki under "Presentations"
- Feb. 2010: A spring senimar in constructing Knowledge Building Centers will be hosted by David Loertscher throughout the spring on Monday evenings beginning in February and ending in May. The seminar will begin the first week of February for an hour or so beginning at 5 P.M. Pacific time. The purpose of the seminar will be to use Web 2.0 tools to turn classroom teacher's normal directive assignments into conversations between the teacher, the students, the teacher librarian, the teacher technologist, and any other specialists who are coaching the learning experience. More information will appear in the Knowledge Building Center tab of this page soon. The seminar is free, but those who participate should agree to contribute to the construction of many examples and using a variety of web 2.0 tools. Interested persons should contact David Loertscher at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates: Feb 8, 22; Mar 8, 22; Time: 5:30pm Pacific; other dates to be added. Other details are on this site under the Knowledge Building Center.
- Jan. 2010: David Loertscher spent three days working with the Hilliard, Ohio school district teacher librarians, technology teachers, administrators, and teachers in moving library and technology efforts towards a learning commons. Presentation PowerPoints are in the Presentations box of this wiki.
- New England School Library Association (NESLA) sponsors a conference January 15, 2010 in Boston entitled: Knowledge/Learning Commons: The Future of School Libraries? NESLA Brochure Followup: This event was amazing. The various preesentations by a number of people including Ross Todd, David Loertscher, Valerie Diggs, RobinCicchetti and Pamela Harland will be on the NESLA website. at: http://neschoolibraries.org/