Resources from the book: The New School Learning Commons
• Sawyer, R. Keith, ed. The Cambridge Handbook of the Learning Sciences. Cambridge University Press, 2005.
• Popham, James W. TransFormative Assessment. ASCD, 2008.
• “Standards for the 21st-Century Learner,” AASL. At:
• “The Intellectual and Policy Foundations of the 21st Century Skills Framework,” Partnership for 21st Century Learning. At:
• International Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) Literacy Panel. "Digital Transformation: A Framework for ICT Literacy." Princeton, NJ: Educational Testing Services, 2007. At: http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/Information_and_Communication_Technology_Literacy/ictreport.pdf
• Anderson, Lorin W., David R. Krathwohl, and Benjamin Samuel Bloom. A Taxonomy for Learning, Teaching, and Assessing: A Revision of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives. Longman, 2000. A revision of the popular taxonomy.
• Marzano, Robert J. and John S. Kendall. Designing & Assessing educational objectives: Applying the New Taxonomy. Corwin Press, 2008. An elaboration and restructuring of Blooms Taxonomy from a different perspective.
• Association for Curriculum Supervision and Development (ASCD)
• American Association of School Librarians
• International Society for Technology in Education
• Canadian Association of School Librarians
• Galileo Professional Network
• International Association of Learning Sciences http://www.isls.org/index.html
• Blos, Susie and Jane Krauss. Reinventing Project-Based Learning: Your Field Guide to Real-World Projects in the Digital Age. ISTE, 2007.
• Callison, Daniel and Leslie Preddy. The Blue Book on Information, Age Inquiry, Instruction and Literacy. Libraries Unlimited, 2006.
• Danielson, Charlotte. Enhancing Professional Practice: a Framework for Teachers. 2nd ed. ASCD, 2007.
• DuFour, Rebecca, Richard DuFour and Robert Eaker. Professional Learning Communities at Work Plan Book. Solution Tree, 2006.
• DuFour, Richard, Rebecca DuFour, and Robert Eaker. Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work. Solution Tree, 2006.
• DuFour, Richard, Rebecca DuFour and Robert Eaker. Revisiting Professional Learning Communities at Work: New Insights for Improving Schools. Solution Tree, 2008
• Habits of Mind http://www.habits-of-mind.net/
• Jensen, Eric. Brain-Based Learning: The New Paradigm of Teaching. 2nd ed. Corwin Press, 2008.
• Koechlin, Carol and Sandi Zwaan. Build Your Own Information Literate School. Hi Willow Research and Publishing, 2003.
• Koechlin, Carol and Sandi Zwaan. Info Tasks for Successful Learning. Pembroke Pub. Ltd, 2001.
• Koechlin, Carol and Sandi Zwaan. Q Tasks: How to Empower Students to Ask Questions and Care About Answers. Pembroke Publishers Ltd, 2006.
• Kuhlthau, Carol C., Leslie K. Maniotes and Ann K. Caspari. Guided Inquiry: Learning in the 21st Century. Libraries Unlimited, 2007.
• Loertscher, David V., Carol Koechlin, and Sandi Zwaan. Ban Those Bird Units: Thinking and Understanding in Information-rich and Technology-rich Environments. Hi Willow Research and Publishing, 2005.
• Loertscher, David, Carol Koechlin, and Sandi Zwaan. Beyond Bird Units: 18
Models for Teaching and Learning in Information-rich and Technology-rich Environments. Hi Willow Research and Publishing, 2007.
• Small, Gary and Gigi Vorgan. iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind. Collins Living, 2008.
• Tomlinson, Carol Ann, Kay Brimijoin, and Lane Narvaez. The Differentiated School: Making Revolutionary Changes in Teaching and Learning. ASCD, 2008.
• Marzano, Robert J. The Art and Science of teaching: A Comprehensive Framework for Effective Teaching. ASCD, 2007.
• Wiggins, Grant and Jay McTighe. Understanding by Design. Expanded 2nd ed. Prentice Hall, 2005.
• Zmuda, Allison and Violet H. Harada. Librarians as Learning Specialists: Meeting the Learning Imperative for the 21st Century. Libraries Unlimited, 2008.
Over to You
Please add resources connected to knowledge building here: