Resources from the book: The New School Learning Commons
• Anderson, Lorin W., David R. Krathwohl, and Benjamin Samuel Bloom. A Taxonomy for Learning, Teaching, and Assessing: A Revision of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives. Longman, 2000. A revision of the popular taxonomy.
• International Reading Association http://www.reading.org/ See their many policy statements on reading and literacy.
• Marzano, Robert J. and John S. Kendall. Designing & Assessing Educational Objectives: Applying the New Taxonomy. Corwin Press, 2008. An elaboration and restructuring of Blooms Taxonomy from a different perspective.
• National Council of Teachers of English. Various statements on literacies for children and teens, at: http://www.ncte.org/
• National Council of Teachers of English. Standards for Middle and High School Literacy Coaches: A Project of the International Reading Association in Collaboration with NCTE, NCTM, NSTA, and NCSS, and with support provided by Carnegie Corporation of New York. NCTE, 2005. Just one of the various standards documents published by NCTE. See their website for a complete list at: http://www.ncte.org/
• National Educational Technology Standards for students. 2nd ed. ISTE, 2007.
• Jenkins, Henry, et.al. “Confronting the Challenge of Participatory Culture: Media Education for the 21st Century.” MacArthur Foundation. at: http://www.projectnml.org/files/working/NMLWhitePaper.pdf
• National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)http://www.ncte.org
• Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
• American Association of School Librarians (AASL) http://www.ala.org/ala/aasl/aaslindex.cfm
• International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
• International Reading Association
• Braunger, Jane and Jan Patricia Lewis. Building a Knowledge Base in Reading. 2nd ed. NCTE, 2006.
• Calliso, Daniel and Leslie Preddy. The Blue Book on Information Age Inquiry, Instruction and Literacy. Libraries Unlimited, 2006.
• Fogarty, Robin. Literacy Matters. 2nd ed. Corwin Press, 2007.
• Harvey, Stephanie and Anne Goudvis. Strategies that Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement. 2nd ed. Stenhouse 2007.
• Ivey, Gay and Douglas Fisher. Creating Literacy-Rich Schools for Adolescents. ASCD, 2006.
• Kajder, Sara. “Reaching the Reluctant Learner,” Educational Leadership, v. 65, no 6, March, 2008.
• Koechlin C. and Sandi Zwaan. Build You Own Information Literate School. Hi Willow, 2006.
• Koechlin, Carol and Sandi Zwaan. Building Info Smarts. Pembroke, 2008.
• Krashen, Stephen. The Power of Reading. 2nd ed. Libraries Unlimited, 2006.
• Ohler, Jason. Digital Storytelling in the Classroom: New Media Pathways to Literacy, Learning, and Creativity. Corwin Press, 2007.
• Warlick,David. Redefining Literacy for the 21st Century. Linworth Publishing, 2004.
• Warlick, David his blog at: http://davidwarlick.com/2cents/
• Comics and graphic novels in the classroom: http://www.diigo.com/annotated/57759ce22055036fde232540a09bdc2f
Over to You
Please add additional resources here dealing with learning literacies: